Saturday, March 10, 2007

Special Ed

It is a different world than regular education. The schedule is rarely consistent, and while there are definitely always things to do, they can't always be done due to where the students are at the time. We may have time to teach them, but they may not be in their classroom or they can't leave it. We work with a wide variety of students, a wide variety of disabilities. From learning disabilities, turret's (sp?), autism, mental retardation, the range is a little amazing. A lot of the work is one-on-one or very small group where you can see the progress and help each student. We do have a couple of reading groups which are a bit larger and always scheduled, but other than that, the week was a little catch as catch can. I'm very excited to take over some of it on Monday. I'm a little concerned about how I am supposed to write lesson plans for a lot of the day. We are in other people's rooms assisting with lessons, not writing them. My supervisor doesn't have any experience with what an inclusion teacher does, so she is expecting me to do complete lesson plans for everything that I do. One of the reading groups is completely scripted and we follow the scrip to the letter, as the program is brand new to the students and is very regimented. These students need structure and repetition to learn their reading skills, and I am not about to type all of the words for each of these lessons when they are printed and read from the book. We'll see what happens.

I've had heartburn for about 2 weeks now. I'm thinking that I should go see a doctor, but I'm not quite sure when that could happen. I could wait for Spring Break and go to the Health Center then, or I could go to Prompt Care sometime this week. I just don't know what is going on, and I know I should go figure it out, but I don't have time.

No comments: